Due to the unique nature of glass on vehicles, the extreme lack of coverage by marketplaces, and difficulty consistently photographing glass on vehicles to show tiny imperfections such as chips and cracks, the protection we are able to extend for glass does different from that of other types of damage.
This article outlines the protection we can provide to our owners, the process for us to fix and replace glass, and what we recommend to our owners to ensure they are fully protected. The following applies to all glass on the body of the vehicle including, but not limited to, the windshield, sunroofs, moonroofs, back windows, side windows, etc.
Protection by Hassle-Free Car
Windshield damage may be eligible for coverage should Hassle-Free Car not be able to obtain coverage through a marketplace. The following terms apply:
- Maximum Reimbursement: Hassle-Free Car will provide coverage up to a maximum of $100 per incident for auto glass repair or replacement only if the car sharing marketplace does not extend coverage, if the owner's auto policy does not provide coverage, and only if there is a deductible for glass repair and replacement with the owner's auto policy.
- Auto Insurance Coverage: In the event that a windshield needs to be repaired or replaced, the owner agrees to provide a copy of their auto insurance declaration documents for review by Hassle-Free Car. If the policy includes coverage for glass/windshields, the owner agrees to file the claim through their own auto policy. In order for Hassle-Free Car to provide any coverage, the owner agrees to provide these documents for review within 5 days of requesting them.
- Glass Replacement: If the windshield does need to be replaced and if Hassle-Free Car is extending coverage, Hassle-Free Car reserves the right to use OEE glass. Hassle-Free Car reserves the right to require that the glass be replaced by a Hassle-Free Car partnering vendor or by the Hassle-Free Car team.
- Outside Vendors: Hassle-Free Car does not facilitate glass repair or replacement by any company other than those contracted by Hassle-Free Car directly. Should an owner choose to use a company not used by Hassle-Free Car, all aspects of managing the service and claim and all possible coverage extended by Hassle-Free Car will be void.
- Insurance Claims: Hassle-Free Car does not facilitate or handle claims directly with an owner's auto insurance company. It will be the responsibility of the owner to file a claim with their own insurance and manage that process. Supporting documentation can be provided if requested by the owner.
- Owner Trips Excluded: If the damage is determined to have happened during an owner trip, no coverage is provided by Hassle-Free Car.
- Less than Standard Marketplace Protection Excluded: If your vehicle is listed with a marketplace with less than Standard protection, meaning that the vehicle has more than a $0 deductible with the marketplace, no coverage is provided by Hassle-Free Car, however Hassle-Free Car will still file a claim with the marketplace and attempt to obtain coverage by the marketplace if applicable.
- Manufacturer Defects Excluded: Glass replacement or repairs required on glass that has known manufacturer defects or has an open recall is not covered by Hassle-Free Car.
- Marketplace Arbitration Determination: Hassle-Free Car reserves the sole right to determine if a glass claim should be taken to arbitration or not. Should an owner want to pursue the marketplace in arbitration on their own, Hassle-Free Car will provide what documentation it has to support their case.
Process of Replacing or Fixing Glass
- Initial Investigation: When we become aware that there may be potential damage to the glass on your vehicle, we will first investigate the issue to confirm there is in fact damage. We'll also review the documentation that we have, obtain additional photo documentation if needed, and attempt to determine when the damage happened.
- File a Claim: If we're able to determine that the damage happened during a marketplace reservation, we will file a claim with that marketplace to attempt to obtain coverage.
- Schedule Repair/Replacement: We will then schedule the glass to be repaired or replaced as quickly as possible to minimize downtown for the vehicle. This will be done with a Hassle-Free Car vendor automatically.
- Invoice the Owner: Once the service has been completed, Hassle-Free Car will immediately invoice and charge the owner for the replacement or repair.
- Coverage Determined - Apply Credit: Once final coverage has been determined through the marketplace, if applicable, and once payment has been received from the marketplace, if applicable, credits will be applied to the owner's account with Hassle-Free Car, if applicable.
Recommendation to Vehicle Owners
Due to the limited protection that marketplaces provide, which limits the protection Hassle-Free Car can provide, we strongly recommend that all vehicle owners carry protection for their auto glass. This is often times included or can be added to an existing auto insurance policy.
The above policy goes into affect on March 2, 2020 and will be the policy used for all glass damage determined to have happened on or after March 2, 2020.