Hassle-Free Car exists to provide a full service car sharing management solution. A large part of that is discovering, documenting, and ensuring the fulfillment of repairing damage to the vehicles. The majority of the time the vehicle will be insured by the car sharing marketplace in which the car is rented through. To help ensure the maximum amount of coverage through those marketplaces, standards have been set for documentation and claims procedures. This document outlines the documentation required by and coverage provided by Hassle-Free Car while the vehicle is actively managed by our team.
Coverage by Hassle-Free Car
- Direct Control: If a vehicle is being driven by a Hassle-Free Car team member, it is considered as being within the direct control of said team member. Direct control also includes times in which the vehicle is being cleaned or inspected. If the vehicle is damaged while within the direct control of a Hassle-Free Car team member, Hassle-Free Car will accept liability and pay for the costs to repair such damage.
- Fault of Hassle-Free Car: If a claim that's submitted to a car sharing marketplace is denied, it may be covered by Hassle-Free Car. Hassle-Free Car will provide coverage if the denial is determined to clearly be the fault of Hassle-Free Car. Examples of this may be the claim wasn't submitted within the given time frame or photos as outlined herein were not taken.
With these coverages outlined above, certain limitations and exclusions apply, which you can find below.
Coverage Limitations and Exclusions
Coverage may not be covered by Hassle-Free Car under the following scenarios:
- Comprehensive Damage: All comprehensive claims, such as hail damage or vehicle theft, is never covered by Hassle-Free Car under any scenario. Hassle-Free Car also makes no guarantee that comprehensive claims will be covered by any marketplace. If a comprehensive claim is denied by the car sharing marketplace in which the damage is believed to have occurred, all owners agree to file the claim with their own auto insurance and agree to be responsible for their own deductible.
- Parked Vehicles: Neither Hassle-Free Car nor any parking facility being utilized by Hassle-Free Car provide any coverage, nor accept any liability for damage to any vehicles while they're parked.
- Pre-Existing Damage: If a vehicle is already damaged in some way that is worsened by our team through the course of normal processes, this will not likely be covered. A good example of this is if paint is chipped or pealing on your vehicle and by the vehicle being washed through our hand or automated wash it peals more, this would not be covered. If your vehicle is damaged and not repaired, you can be held responsible for that damage worsening if the damage was pre-existing.
- Damage Not Visible in Standard Photos: If damage is so small that it cannot clearly be seen in the standard photos taken by Hassle-Free Car as outlined below, it may not be covered by Hassle-Free Car. This can include damage to the undercarriage of the vehicle that is not clearly visible to our team and in our standard photos. It could also include small scratches that may be more than 3 inches and ordinarily covered by the marketplace, but is so small it's not visible in our standard exterior photos.
- Windshield Repairs or Replacement: If a windshield is chipped and is eligible to be filled/repaired instead of replaced, Hassle-Free Car may only cover the cost for a repair and not an entire windshield replacement. Windshield replacements would only be covered if they're not eligible for repair due to the size of the crack. If the windshield does need to be replaced and if Hassle-Free Car is extending coverage, Hassle-Free Car reserves the right to use OEE glass as opposed to OEM. Hassle-Free Car will also only provide coverage for glass repair or replacement if an approved vendor is used for the repair or replacement.
- Auto Insurance Glass Coverage: In the event that a windshield needs to be repaired or replaced, the owner agrees to provide a copy of their auto insurance declaration documents for review by Hassle-Free Car. If the policy includes coverage for glass/windshields, the owner agrees to file the claim through their own auto policy. If there is a deductible, the responsible party (either the marketplace or Hassle-Free Car) will pay the deductible.
- Tire Damage: Damage to tires can be difficult to spot and may not be immediately apparent. As such, Hassle-Free Car cannot extend coverage for damage to tires unless the damage is clearly visible and apparent within the standard photo documentation outlined below. If Hassle-Free Car is determined to be responsible for damage done to a tire, the replacement cost of the tire will be covered, less any prior use with 3/32 being the end of life (worth $0.00). For example, if a tire comes from the factory with 12/32 of tread (9/32 of usable tread before end of life) and the tire needs to be replaced at 5/32, the 7/32 that has been used will be subtracted from the reimbursed amount. If that tire cost $150.00 total to replace, including labor, tax, and fees, this would be the calculation: ($150/9)x2 = $33.33. The remaining $116.67 would be the responsibility of the vehicle owner.
- Wheel Damage: In order for wheel damage to be covered by Hassle-Free Car, the damage must be a minimum of 3 inches in size and the wheel must not have had any damage whatsoever when the vehicle was initially listed for management with Hassle-Free Car. If the wheel had any damage when it was enrolled, no matter the size, no coverage will be provided by Hassle-Free Car under any scenario. Additionally, aftermarket wheels are not covered regardless of fault. Coverage may only be extended for OEM wheels.
- Interior Repairs: If interior damage has occurred, it must be visible in the standard interior photos outlined below. If the damage is in a part of the vehicle not easily visible, such as on the underside of a seat or inside a compartment, it may not be covered by Hassle-Free Car. If coverage is extended for interior damage, Hassle-Free Car reserves the right to repair the damage as opposed to replacing it. For instance, if a vinyl seat is torn, Hassle-Free Car will only pay for replacement of the seat material if repairing it is not an option due to the size of the damage.
- Mechanical Failure: It is extremely rare that a renter would be able to cause damage to a vehicle mechanically. Additionally, our team's ability to immediately be made known of a mechanical failure and be able to diagnose it is typically not possible. In most cases of mechanical failure, Hassle-Free Car will only extend coverage if the mechanical failure is determined to be caused by damage and not simply a failure of a part and if the marketplace denies coverage on the claim. This determination must be made by a manufacturer dealership of the make of the vehicle. Additionally, it must be proven that Hassle-Free Car should have clearly noticed the issue and reported it as possible damage by way of significant vehicle performance degradation or warning lights on the vehicle.
- Management Plan without Claims Management: Any vehicle managed by Hassle-Free Car under a plan in which damage claim management is not included, no coverage of any kind is extended by Hassle-Free Car for any reason.
- No Current Auto Policy: No coverage will be extended by Hassle-Free Car for any vehicle damage regardless of the circumstance if the vehicle does not have a current auto insurance policy held by the vehicle owner at the time of loss. Owners must always have a current auto insurance policy on their vehicle that complies with state laws. Failure to maintain proper coverage is illegal and will not be tolerated by Hassle-Free Car.
- Matching Marketplace Coverage: Hassle-Free Car will provide coverage that matches coverage provided by the marketplace for damage denied by the marketplace for reasons in which Hassle-Free Car is at fault. For example, if an owner chooses the 85% plan with Turo, they will receive a payment of 20% of the repair costs up to the first $3,750 and 100% thereafter. Hassle-Free Car will match that coverage if the claim is denied by Turo for reasons in which Hassle-Free Car is at fault. The same goes for owners that carry their own commercial insurance and opt out of any coverage provided by the marketplace. In these instances, no coverage would be extended by Hassle-Free Car either. Coverage Matching only applies to vehicle damage and not any other benefits the marketplace may extend such as coverage for Normal Wear and Tear, Loss of Income, Rental Reimbursement, and Diminished Value.
- Aftermarket Parts: Aftermarket parts, including recreational racks, are not covered under any circumstance.
- Normal Wear and Tear Excluded: Normal wear and tear of vehicles is never covered by Hassle-Free Car under any circumstance. We also do not handle processing of claims with any marketplace for wear and tear items under any circumstance. If your vehicle has wear and tear coverage, it will be your responsibility as the owner to pursue those claims. See Wear and Tear Claim Exclusions below.
- Loss of Income: Regardless of your coverage with the car sharing marketplace, loss of income is never covered by Hassle-Free Car.
- Rental Replacement: Regardless of your coverage with the car sharing marketplace, rental replacement is never covered by Hassle-Free Car. However, discounts may be available if renting a vehicle also managed by Hassle-Free Car from the same location the damaged vehicle is managed at.
- Diminished Value: Regardless of your coverage with the car sharing marketplace, diminished value is never covered by Hassle-Free Car under any circumstance.
Marketplace Claim Processing
For more information about how the damage claim process, see Body Damage Claims Process.
Wear and Tear Claim Exclusions
Our team will not handle claims that are deemed to be normal wear and tear even if you have chosen a marketplace protection plan that provides such coverage. If damage is found on a vehicle that falls under the category of normal wear and tear and not damage, a claim may not be submitted at all and the damage may not be noted/documented by our team. If a claim is submitted and is later determined to be normal wear and tear and not a covered peril as damage, we will no longer pursue the claim. If you as the owner have wear and tear coverage on your vehicle and would like to pursue the claim, you are welcome to do so directly with the marketplace. As we don't track which vehicles have what protection plan with each marketplace, it is the responsibility of the owner to proactively watch the process of each claim and take over the claim if they would like to pursue a wear and tear claim.
Hassle-Free Car will document the condition of your vehicle each time it leaves and enters the lot. This is done by photographing the vehicle's interior and exterior. If new damage is found that meet's (or is believed to possibly meet) car sharing marketplace criteria for a covered peril, it will be submitted to them in accordance with their policy. A minimum of four exterior photos, one of each side of the vehicle, will be taken in line with the requirements of each marketplace app. Additionally, one interior photo will be taken from each door way, facing the interior of the car to document the interior condition of the car. Finally, at least one photo of the dashboard showing miles and fuel will be taken each time. Hassle-Free Car will from time-to-time take additional photos to document other specific areas of the car, though they are not guaranteed each time.
Requirement for Repair
Small cosmetic damage can typically go without being repaired at the owner's request, however Hassle-Free Car reserves the right to require certain repairs to be completed. Vehicles with damage can create a negative experience for renters, affecting the reputation of marketplaces, Hassle-Free Car, partners of Hassle-Free Car, and you as the owner. An owner's unwillingness to have damage repaired on their vehicle that is specifically required by Hassle-Free Car may result in immediate termination of service.
Damage Reimbursement from Renters
At this time, we do not facilitate the reimbursement of damage claims with renters directly. All damage eligible for marketplace coverage can only be processed through the marketplace claims team. If you as the owner would like to work it out with the renter directly, we can typically stop the claims process and not pursue the claim through the marketplace and allow you to work out payment with the renter directly. If you choose to move forward with the repairs, or are required to move forward with the repairs under our policies, and are working out payment with the renter directly, we will bill you for the total amount of the original estimate before work can proceed.
Please note that there are inherent risks with not processing your claim through the marketplace, specifically related to receiving full payment. The initial estimate provided by an insurance company will typically be less than the actual dollar amount needed to complete the repair. As such, you may be able to collect on that initial estimate, however if there are additional costs above and beyond that amount, you'll be responsible for collecting the overage from the renter and you may not be able to. By utilizing an insurance company, you're guaranteed that the work will be completed and our shops will work with insurance to be sure the total amount is covered. Additionally, once you decide to move forward with collecting payment from the renter, you may forfeit your ability to proceed with insurance. Please review the marketplace protection plan details for the limitations and policies they have.
If you plan to collect from a renter directly, please notify our helpdesk as quickly as possible so that we can stop our claims processing. We will still submit the claim to the marketplace initially, as we do with all claims, however it can be withdrawn in most cases.
Right to Insurance Declarations
Hassle-Free Car reserves the right to request and inspect insurance declaration documents for policies held by the vehicle owner's for any vehicle managed by Hassle-Free Car. Any owner's failure to secure and maintain an auto insurance on all vehicles managed by Hassle-Free Car can result in immediate termination. Furthermore, failure to provide auto insurance declaration documents for vehicles managed by Hassle-Free Car within a timely manner can also void any coverage provided by Hassle-Free Car and may result in immediate termination of service by Hassle-Free Car.
If a vehicle is damaged and the car sharing marketplace is denying the claim, Hassle-Free Car may take the claim to arbitration with the marketplace. It is at the sole discretion of Hassle-Free Car as to whether a claim will be taken to arbitration or not. Vehicle owners always maintain the right to take a claim to arbitration with the marketplace as well. If an owner chooses to do so, Hassle-Free Car will not as only one party may take the claim to arbitration.
Marketplace (Car Sharing Marketplace): This is the service, application, or website that's utilized to rent out vehicles managed by Hassle-Free Car. Examples of marketplaces are Turo, GetAround, and TravelCar.
Covered Peril: A specific risk or cause of loss covered by an insurance policy. In other words, a covered peril could be damage to a vehicle that is determined to be damage that will be paid for by the insurer.
Comprehensive Coverage: Comprehensive insurance is a coverage that helps pay to replace or repair your vehicle if it's stolen or damaged in an incident that's not a collision. The most common type of comprehensive damage is hail damage.
OEE: Original Equipment Equivalent is a part manufactured by a company other than the manufacturer of the vehicle, but is a part that meets necessary standards to perform on the vehicle in the same way the original part did.