Hassle-Free Car exists to provide a full service car sharing management solution. A large part of that is discovering, documenting, and ensuring the fulfillment of repairing damage to the vehicles. The majority of the time the vehicle will be insured by the car sharing marketplace in which the car is rented through. To help ensure the maximum amount of coverage through those marketplaces, standards have been set for documentation and claims procedures. This document outlines the documentation required by and coverage provided by Hassle-Free Car while the vehicle is actively managed by our team.
Coverage by Hassle-Free Car
- Direct Control: If a vehicle is being driven by a Hassle-Free Car team member, it is considered as being within the direct control of said team member. Direct control also includes times in which the vehicle is being cleaned or inspected. If the vehicle is damaged while within the direct control of a Hassle-Free Car team member, Hassle-Free Car will accept liability and pay for the costs to repair such damage.
- Fault of Hassle-Free Car: If a claim that's submitted to a car sharing marketplace is denied, it may be covered by Hassle-Free Car. Hassle-Free Car will provide coverage if the denial is determined to clearly be the fault of Hassle-Free Car. Examples of this may be the claim wasn't submitted within the given time frame or photos as outlined herein were not taken.
With these coverages outlined above, certain limitations and exclusions apply, which you can find below.
Coverage Limitations and Exclusions
Coverage may not be covered by Hassle-Free Car under the following scenarios:
- Comprehensive Damage: All comprehensive claims, such as hail damage or vehicle theft, is never covered by Hassle-Free Car. Hassle-Free Car also makes no guarantee that comprehensive claims will be covered by any marketplace. If a comprehensive claim is denied by the car sharing marketplace in which the damage is believed to have occurred, all owners agree to file the claim with their own auto insurance and agree to be responsible for their own deductible.
- Parked Vehicles: Neither Hassle-Free Car nor any parking facility being utilized by Hassle-Free Car provide any coverage, nor accept any liability for damage to any vehicles while they're parked.
- Pre-Existing Damage: If a vehicle is already damaged in some way that is worsened by our team through the course of normal processes, this will likely not be covered. A good example of this is if paint is chipped or pealing on your vehicle and by the vehicle being washed through our hand or automated wash it peals more - this would not be covered. If your vehicle is damaged and not repaired, you can be held responsible for that damage worsening if the damage was pre-existing.
- Damage Not Visible in Standard Photos: If damage is so small that it cannot clearly be seen in the standard photos taken by Hassle-Free Car as outlined below, it may not be covered by Hassle-Free Car. This can include damage to the undercarriage or anywhere in or on the vehicle that is not clearly visible to our team and in our standard photos. It could also include small scratches that may be more than 3 inches and ordinarily covered by the marketplace, but are so small that they're not visible in our standard exterior photos. Damage not visible in the photos that we take become impossible to prove the existence of as well as when the damage occurred, making it impossible to pursue for coverage through the marketplace. It's because of this that Hassle-Free Car will also not extend coverage in these cases.
- Windshield Repairs or Replacement: Windshield cracks may be eligible for coverage should Hassle-Free Car not be able to obtain coverage through a marketplace. This excludes windshield chips - see 5.2. below. If the windshield does need to be replaced and if Hassle-Free Car is extending coverage, Hassle-Free Car reserves the right to use OEE glass as opposed to OEM. Hassle-Free Car will also only provide coverage for glass repair or replacement if Hassle-Free Car facilitates the repair through it's team or vendors.
- Auto Insurance Glass Coverage: In the event that a windshield needs to be repaired or replaced, the owner agrees to provide a copy of their auto insurance declaration documents for review by Hassle-Free Car. If the policy includes coverage for glass/windshields, the owner agrees to file the claim through their own auto policy. If there is a deductible, the responsible party (either the marketplace or Hassle-Free Car) will pay the deductible.
- Windshield Chips/Pits: Due to the size and difficultly of photographing chips in windshields, we do not submit that for coverage by any marketplace. In addition, we do not provide coverage for windshield chips. Filling chips can be done by our team or a vendor of ours for a small cost, which will be billing to the owner. If the chip ends up spreading into a crack, coverage would be provided in accordance with the above policy.
- Tire Damage: Damage to tires can be difficult to spot and may not be immediately apparent. As such, Hassle-Free Car cannot extend coverage for damage to tires unless the damage is clearly visible and apparent within the standard photo documentation outlined below. If Hassle-Free Car is determined to be responsible for damage done to a tire, the replacement cost of the tire will be covered, less any prior use with 3/32 being the end of life (worth $0.00). For example, if a tire comes from the factory with 12/32 of tread (9/32 of usable tread before end of life) and the tire needs to be replaced at 5/32, the 7/32 that has been used will be subtracted from the reimbursed amount. If that tire cost $150.00 total to replace, including labor, tax, and fees, this would be the calculation: ($150/9)x2 = $33.33. The remaining $116.67 would be the responsibility of the vehicle owner.
- Wheel Damage: In order for wheel damage to be covered by Hassle-Free Car, the damage must be a minimum of 3 inches in size and the wheel must not have had any damage whatsoever when the vehicle was initially listed for management with Hassle-Free Car. If the wheel had any damage when it was enrolled, no matter the size, no coverage will be provided by Hassle-Free Car under any scenario. Additionally, aftermarket wheels are not covered regardless of fault. Coverage may only be extended for OEM wheels.
- Interior Repairs: If interior damage has occurred, it must be visible in the standard interior photos outlined below. If the damage is in a part of the vehicle not easily visible, such as on the underside of a seat or inside a compartment, it may not be covered by Hassle-Free Car. If coverage is extended for interior damage, Hassle-Free Car reserves the right to repair the damage as opposed to replacing it. For instance, if a vinyl seat is torn, Hassle-Free Car will only pay for replacement of the seat material if repairing it is not an option due to the size of the damage.
- Mechanical Failure: It is extremely rare that a renter would be able to cause damage to a vehicle mechanically. Additionally, our team's ability to immediately be made known of a mechanical failure and be able to diagnose it is typically not possible. In most cases of mechanical failure, Hassle-Free Car will only extend coverage if the mechanical failure is determined to be caused by damage and not simply a failure of a part and if the marketplace denies coverage on the claim. This determination must be made by a manufacturer dealership of the make of the vehicle. Additionally, it must be proven that Hassle-Free Car should have clearly noticed the issue and reported it as possible damage by way of significant vehicle performance degradation or warning lights on the vehicle.
- Check Engine Lights & Other Warnings: Unless there is physical, visible damage to the vehicle, we can't typically provide coverage for anything related to a check engine light coming on. Most often these lights come on for purely mechanical or electrical issues and not due to damage. As a result, we will not submit a damage claim to the marketplace unless there is physical damage that might have caused that light to come on.
- Lug Nut Keys: Hassle-Free Car recommends not using locking lug nut keys, however if you do, note that Hassle-Free Car does not provide coverage for the replacement of these keys. The primary reason for this is because the keys must stay with the vehicle at all times and checking for it's existence in each car every time it goes on a trip and comes back is not feasible.
- Vehicle Keys: If key replacement is required due to obvious, visible damage to the key or loss of the key and the marketplace will not extend coverage due to negligence by Hassle-Free Car, we will pay for the replacement of the key. However, we will only pay for the ordinarily cost to replace that one key. Since we require that all vehicles come with 2 keys when enrolled, if you do not provide our team with 2 keys at the time that the vehicle is first dropped off for management, we will not pay for the vehicle to be re-keyed and will only provide coverage for the replacement cost of the one key that was damaged or lost.
- Example A: A key is damaged for your car and we're providing coverage for it. We're able to take both your spare key that we have and the vehicle to the dealership or a shop to have a replacement key made. That replacement key cost $300 in this example and we would cover the entire cost of this key replacement, including the fees for delivery and pick up of the vehicle to and from that shop.
- Example B: A key is damaged for your car and we're providing coverage for it. We do not have a spare key for your vehicle because a spare key wasn't provided to us when the vehicle was enrolled. The vehicle needs to be towed to a shop and the entire vehicle re-keyed with 2 new keys made. Had we had a spare, in this example the cost would have been $300 for a single replacement key. However, the total cost for the tow, the re-key of the vehicle and 2 new keys was $1,500. We would cover the first $300 and you as the owner would be responsible for the remaining $1,200.
- Management Plan without Claims Management: Any vehicle managed by Hassle-Free Car under a plan in which damage claim management is not included, no coverage of any kind is extended by Hassle-Free Car for any reason.
- No Current Auto Policy: No coverage will be extended by Hassle-Free Car for any vehicle damage regardless of the circumstance if the vehicle does not have a current auto insurance policy held by the vehicle owner at the time of loss. Owners must always have a current auto insurance policy on their vehicle that complies with state laws. Failure to maintain proper coverage is illegal and will not be tolerated by Hassle-Free Car.
- Matching Marketplace Coverage: Hassle-Free Car will provide coverage that matches coverage provided by the marketplace for damage denied by the marketplace for reasons in which Hassle-Free Car is at fault. For example, if an owner chooses the 85% plan with Turo, they will receive a payment of 20% of the repair costs up to the first $3,750 and 100% thereafter. Hassle-Free Car will match that coverage if the claim is denied by Turo for reasons in which Hassle-Free Car is at fault. The same goes for owners that carry their own commercial insurance and opt out of any coverage provided by the marketplace. In these instances, no coverage would be extended by Hassle-Free Car either. Coverage Matching only applies to vehicle damage and not any other benefits the marketplace may extend such as coverage for Normal Wear and Tear, Loss of Income, Rental Reimbursement, and Diminished Value.
- Aftermarket Parts: Aftermarket parts, including sports racks, are not covered under any circumstance. For more information about sports rack, see our Sports Rack Policies.
- SIM Cards, Navigation Cards, Memory Cards, etc: We do not provide any coverage for removable cards or chips such as SIM cards, navigation cards, memory cards, etc.
- Removable Parts: Coverage for removable parts, whether aftermarket or not, cannot be covered by Hassle-Free Car. An example of this type of item would be a remote for an entertainment system, a WiFi hotspot, or any other type of item that isn't secured to the vehicle. Our system and processes don't currently allow for us to track individual, removable items in vehicles, which is one of the primary reasons for this limitation.
- Normal Wear and Tear Excluded: Normal wear and tear of vehicles, as defined by each marketplace and as defined below, is never covered by Hassle-Free Car under any circumstance. We also do not handle processing of claims with any marketplace for wear and tear items under any circumstance. If your vehicle has wear and tear coverage, it will be your responsibility as the owner to pursue those claims. See Wear and Tear Claim Exclusions below. If a claim is submitted and is later determined to be normal wear and tear and not a covered peril as damage, we will no longer pursue the claim. If you as the owner have wear and tear coverage on your vehicle and would like to pursue the claim, you are welcome to do so directly with the marketplace. As we don't track which vehicles have what protection plan with each marketplace, it is the responsibility of the owner to proactively watch the process of each claim and take over the claim if they would like to pursue a wear and tear claim.
- "Buffable" Marks & Scratches: Any mark, paint transfer, "hairline" scratches, or scratches on a vehicle that do not damage the paint, typically only affecting the clear coat of the vehicle, is considered normal wear and tear regardless of size. Marks or scratches of the clear coat can typically be buffed out and do not require re-painting. In these cases, Hassle-Free Car may not pursue a claim for this with the marketplace and will not extend coverage itself.
- Loss of Income: Regardless of your coverage with the car sharing marketplace, loss of income is never covered by Hassle-Free Car.
- Rental Replacement: Regardless of your coverage with the car sharing marketplace, rental replacement is never covered by Hassle-Free Car. However, discounts may be available if renting a vehicle also managed by Hassle-Free Car from the same location the damaged vehicle is managed at.
- Diminished Value: Regardless of your coverage with the car sharing marketplace, diminished value is never covered by Hassle-Free Car under any circumstance.
Marketplace Claim Processing
For more information about how the damage claim process, see Body Damage Claims Process.
Credit Card Info Requirement for Turo
If your vehicle is available through Turo on your own account, you must provide us with your routing and account number to be used during the damage claim submission process if required by Turo. If you have not provided us with your credit card information, your claims may not be able to be submitted to Turo and Hassle-Free Car will not be able to extend any coverage for denied claims in these situations. It is imperative that credit card information is provided to us to avoid any claim submission issues.
If all of your vehicles are listed as Revenue Share, Economy, or On-Demand, we don't manage claims on an account that you own and control, so you do not need to provide us with credit card information.
Use this form to submit or update your Turo claims credit card information: Update Turo Claims Credit Card Info.
Why can't Hassle-Free Car provide it's own credit card information to Turo?
There are a number of reasons this isn't possible, namely because you still control your Turo account. You may also have your own vehicles listed on your account that we don't manage.
Additionally, Turo's system does not allow one credit card to be associated with more than 1 account. If your credit card is linked to any Turo account except the one that has the vehicles we manage on it, it will not work when we go to submit a claim on your behalf.
If you don't want to provide credit card information, you can elect to have your vehicle moved to our revenue share program and managed on one of our accounts. For additional information about our plans, see our Plan Details & Price Sheet.
Hassle-Free Car Damage Coverage Requirements
If your car is damaged by a Hassle-Free Car team member or Hassle-Free Car is extending coverage for damage to your vehicle for another reason, payment for said damage will only ever be paid directly to the repair shop. Payment for the damage will never be paid directly to the owner of the vehicle.
Additionally, body damage repairs must be completed by a partnering shop of Hassle-Free Car for coverage to be extended. All shops that Hassle-Free Car partners with provide a lifetime warranty for all work performed.
Hassle-Free Car will never pay for repairs or provide any type of coverage if the work required isn't actually performed. For example, if a vehicle is damaged and an estimate is obtained for the repair of that work, Hassle-Free Car will not submit payment for those repairs until it has confirmed that the repairs have actually been completed. Payment for such repairs will always be paid directly to the shop that performed the repairs.
Marketplace Fines & Fees for Claims
If you are assessed a fine or a fee related to a claim that we submitted on your behalf, we will review the cause of the fine or fee and if it's determined that we are at fault, we will refund you for the fine/fee. For any fines or fees assessed that we are at fault for, we will credit your account and if the amount is above $100, we can issue a refund to your credit card on file as well.
Hassle-Free Car will document the condition of your vehicle each time it leaves and enters the lot. This is done by photographing the vehicle's interior and exterior. If new damage is found that meet's (or is believed to possibly meet) car sharing marketplace criteria for a covered peril, it will be submitted to them in accordance with their policy. A minimum of four exterior photos, one of each side of the vehicle, will be taken in line with the requirements of each marketplace app. Additionally, one interior photo will be taken from each door way, facing the interior of the car to document the interior condition of the car. Finally, at least one photo of the dashboard showing miles and fuel will be taken each time. Hassle-Free Car will from time-to-time take additional photos to document other specific areas of the car, though they are not guaranteed each time.
Requirement for Repair
Small cosmetic damage can typically go without being repaired at the owner's request, however Hassle-Free Car reserves the right to require certain repairs to be completed. Vehicles with damage can create a negative experience for renters, affecting the reputation of the marketplaces, Hassle-Free Car, partners of Hassle-Free Car, and you as the owner. An owner's unwillingness to have damage repaired on their vehicle that is specifically required by Hassle-Free Car may result in immediate termination of service without notice or a refund.
Damage Reimbursement from Renters
At this time, we do not facilitate the reimbursement of damage claims with renters directly. All damage eligible for marketplace coverage can only be processed through the marketplace claims team. If you as the owner would like to work it out with the renter directly, we can typically stop the claims process and not pursue the claim through the marketplace and allow you to work out payment with the renter directly. If you choose to move forward with the repairs, or are required to move forward with the repairs under our policies, and are working out payment with the renter directly, we will bill you for the total amount of the original estimate before work can proceed.
Please note that there are inherent risks with not processing your claim through the marketplace, specifically related to receiving full payment. The initial estimate provided by an insurance company will typically be less than the actual dollar amount needed to complete the repair. As such, you may be able to collect on that initial estimate, however if there are additional costs above and beyond that amount, you'll be responsible for collecting the overage from the renter and you may not be able to. By utilizing an insurance company, you're guaranteed that the work will be completed and our shops will work with insurance to be sure the total amount is covered. Additionally, once you decide to move forward with collecting payment from the renter, you may forfeit your ability to proceed with insurance. Please review the marketplace protection plan details for the limitations and policies they have.
If you plan to collect from a renter directly, please notify our helpdesk as quickly as possible so that we can stop our claims processing. We will still submit the claim to the marketplace initially, as we do with all claims, however it can be withdrawn in most cases.
Right to Insurance Declarations
Hassle-Free Car reserves the right to request and inspect insurance declaration documents for policies held by the vehicle owner's for any vehicle managed by Hassle-Free Car. Any owner's failure to secure and maintain an auto insurance on all vehicles managed by Hassle-Free Car can result in immediate termination. Furthermore, failure to provide auto insurance declaration documents for vehicles managed by Hassle-Free Car within a timely manner can also void any coverage provided by Hassle-Free Car and may result in immediate termination of service by Hassle-Free Car.
Pursuit through Arbitration
If a vehicle is damaged and the car sharing marketplace is denying the claim, Hassle-Free Car may take the claim to arbitration with the marketplace. It is at the sole discretion of Hassle-Free Car as to whether a claim will be taken to arbitration or not. Vehicle owners always maintain the right to take a claim to arbitration themselves with the marketplace. If an owner chooses to do so without the assistance of Hassle-Free Car, we can provide any documentation that we have to the owner to prove the case.
If a case is taken to arbitration against a marketplace, a renter, or any other party involved, the owner waives their right to pursue Hassle-Free Car for those same damages or any damages related to the incident, regardless of the outcome of said arbitration.
As of the date of termination, Hassle-Free Car is no longer obligated to continue pursuing and processing any damage claims regardless of when those claims were filed. So long as no service has been completed under the management of Hassle-Free Car, seeing claims through to completion will be the sole responsibility of the vehicle owner. Hassle-Free Car will no longer have any liability for any damage related to those claims regardless of the outcome of the claim after the vehicle's management has been terminated.
Any past claims in which Hassle-Free Car had repairs or service completed on the vehicle and is still processing the final paperwork, supplements, estimates, payments, or anything else, will be completed by Hassle-Free Car. The owner agrees to allow Hassle-Free Car to maintain access to the owner's marketplace accounts to complete those claims as well as to allow Hassle-Free Car to accept any funds due from the marketplace for said claims. In the event that the owner does not allow for pending claims to be processed by Hassle-Free Car after termination agrees to be directly responsible for all unpaid expenses related to the service for those outstanding claims that Hassle-Free Car is still pursuing. The owner agrees to pay Hassle-Free Car immediately upon being invoiced for any unpaid expenses incurred for those claims regardless of the outcome of the claim.
Additionally, any claims of damage that the owner would like to pursue coverage for through Hassle-Free Car must be fully documented and submitted to Hassle-Free Car before the vehicle has exited our facility for termination. Thereafter, any damage found or reported will not be eligible for coverage through Hassle-Free Car under any circumstance.
Marketplace (Car Sharing Marketplace): This is the service, application, or website that's utilized to rent out vehicles managed by Hassle-Free Car. Examples of marketplaces are Turo, GetAround, and TravelCar.
Covered Peril: A specific risk or cause of loss covered by an insurance policy. In other words, a covered peril could be damage to a vehicle that is determined to be damage that will be paid for by the insurer.
Comprehensive Coverage: Comprehensive insurance is a coverage that helps pay to replace or repair your vehicle if it's stolen or damaged in an incident that's not a collision. The most common type of comprehensive damage is hail damage.
OEE: Original Equipment Equivalent is a part manufactured by a company other than the manufacturer of the vehicle, but is a part that meets necessary standards to perform on the vehicle in the same way the original part did.