The process for filing damage claims and helping to ensure coverage for you with the car sharing marketplace involves several steps that we'll take on your behalf. Below outlines those steps from a high level, however please note that additional steps may need to be taken depending on the situation.
- Determine Coverage: The first thing we do is evaluate if we believe the damage is new or not. Every claim is reviewed by 2 team members prior to being submitted to the marketplace. If it's determined to be new, we'll move forward with filing the damage claim with the marketplace.
- File with Marketplace: Even if you plan to file this with your own insurance (typically only for owners with commercial insurance), we will still report this to the marketplace AND notify them that we intend to have them process the claim. Most marketplaces requires that we notify them of damage with 24 hours of a vehicle being returned and they require us to notify them of our intent to have them process the claim within 15 days of the end of the trip. To ensure coverage, we do both of these things at the same time when the claim is originally submitted. We can always withdraw that request if needed.
- Determine Severity: We'll then evaluate the damage to determine if the vehicle is still rentable or not. If it's not, we'll work to swap future trips into a different car. If it's minor, we will continue to rent out the car and move forward with what we need between trips. Minor damage will also be a lower priority in the queue for processing. Don't worry, damage claims and coverage do not expire with the marketplace. Our goal is to keep cars on the road as much as possible and handle damage claims more so during the slow season, helping you to maximize your earnings.
- Gather Documentation: We'll work to gather as much documentation as possible to submit to the marketplace for a coverage determination and an estimate. This primarily includes photos, but can also include additional documentation such as police reports, statements from the renter, etc. This process can take time, so your patience is always appreciated. Once we have everything we believe we need, we'll submit everything to the marketplace and request that they write up an initial estimate.
- Schedule for Service: Once we have a completed estimate from the marketplace, we'll send that over to the shop and request to schedule it for service. The shop will take the estimate we provided and submit supplements to the marketplace on your behalf to ensure all expenses are paid for. The two primary reasons the marketplace may not 100% cover the repairs that we've seen are (1) the coverage you've selected through the marketplace and (2) pre-existing damage to a car. For example, if a car already had damage to a rear bumper and a renter made it worse, the marketplace will provide coverage, but may then add a "betterment," which will subtract any repair costs from them, holding you responsible for your percentage. This is rare and typically a very small amount of money that you may be liable for, but it does happen to vehicles with existing damage.
- Flow of Money: Whenever an estimate or a supplement is completed or approved by the marketplace, they will submit payment to you via email. DO NOT accept these payments. Hassle-Free Car will accept those payments, hold them in a reserve account for you, apply the payment to your billing account with us, and then use those funds to pay the shop on your behalf when the work is complete. Typically these are done electronically, but may sometimes be sent to you as a check. If you receive a paper check, please sign the check over to "CarShare Logic, LLC" and mail it to us.
Along the way, you'll receive email notifications from us for most important states of the claim process, i.e. scheduling for repairs and the completion of the repairs. If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to reach out here.
For additional details regarding damage coverage, be sure to reference articles with each marketplace your vehicle is listed through. Additionally, review Hassle-Free Car Damage Coverage Policies & Terms.